This is my favorite recipe and I made it twice for two diwali events and it surely turned into a crowd pleaser. It is my favorite paan ladoos recipe and I would give the credit to the blogger Manali who has a lovely foodblog ‘Cook with Manali’. I have made few changes to the recipe but overall idea belongs to Manali herself. So I would I like to take an opportunity to thank her for her recipe.
Most Indians including my family who loves kalkatti meetha paan and in India we surely get varieties of flavorful paan, but I never thought to put betel leaves in the ladoo form. It is an extremely easy recipe and simply delicious, especially after a heavy Indian meal this ladoo will seal the deal on a sweeter note.
So I will walk you through my version of paan ladoos. Get ready to impress your loved ones with this easy recipe.
1 teaspoon ghee (clarified butter)
6-7 washed Paan (Betel) Leaves
1/2 can of condensed milk
1-2 drops of rose water (or rose syrup)
1 cup of desiccated coconut
1 pinch of green food gel (optional)
Ingredients For ladoo filling
1/2 cup of sweet gulkand (rose petals and sugar mix)
1/4 cup of mixed nuts (pistachios, cashews, and almonds)
2 cardamon pods (seeds crushed)
1 tablespoon rose syrup
Decoration or Garnish:
1 cup of desiccated coconut for the ladoos.
Method for making paan ladoos (Part 1):
1. In a food processor or blender, add betel leaves and condensed milk. Make a green colored paste.
2. In a nonstick pan, add ghee and saute desiccated coconut powder until it becomes very lightly fragrant.
(Note: Coconut tends to turn brown very quickly so please make sure that you do this on low-heat flame.)
3. To the same pan add green paste from the food processor. Add rose water and green food color. Mix everything well. Let it cool down until you start forming balls.
Method for making the filling (Part 2):
1. In the same food processor or blender, I added gulkand, cardamon seeds, and nuts. Crush everything. All the green betel leaves and condensed milk leftover will make it more tasty. Also add rose syrup or rose water in it.
Method for assembly of making ladoos
1. Make ladoos, form balls
2. Add desired quantity of the filling in between the paan ladoo mixture and cover them well.
3. Roll the ladoos in the desiccated coconut for garnish. It will look super pretty, just like snow on the Christmas tree.