I made this cake for my husband on his birthday. Ya I wrote made and not baked. Why? Because there is no baking required. It is a great cake which also can be served on hot summer day, when you want something light and refreshing.
Everyone knows about Italian tiramisu dessert. Basically traditional Tiramisu desserts are assembled with lady fingers soaked in espresso coffee liquid and alternately layered with mascarpone cheese and custard layers and cocoa powder. Easy and delicious. Did you know? Tiramisu in Italian means “Pick me up”… well who can resist coffee and chocolate in the same recipe.
There are a lot of variations of Tiramisu desserts like cakes, pies, puddings, trifles, and what not.
Note: I prepared this cake with lady fingers, but you can totally use home-made or store-bought plain vanilla sponge cake. I have used springform cake pan, but you can use a glass baking dish or a trifle bowl.
So here is the scrumptious recipe which I made for my husband’s birthday. I was totally inspired by a YouTube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPQuuIGa3Jo. I have altered few measurements.
Ingredients: (from bottom to top layers)
Layer 1: (12 pieces or 1/2 slice of sponge cake)
- Lady fingers (24 pieces) (Please check my note above)
Layer 2: (1/2 of this mixture)
- 24 oz of raspberries (I used two 12 oz boxes)
- 1 and 1/2 clementines juice (or 1 large orange juice)
- 1/4 cup sugar
Layer 3: (1/2 of this mixture)
- 8.8 oz Mascarpone cheese (I used 1 container)
- 1 and 1/2 cups of heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 + 1/4 cups of confectioners’ sugar (known as icing or powdered sugar)
Layer 4, 5, and 6 :
- Repeat other 12 Ladyfingers, 1/2 Crushed Rasberries mixture, and 1/2 Mascarpone cheese + Whipping cream mixture.
- 1 pint Blueberries
1. Prepare Raspberries mixture. First wash and dry raspberries. Add clementine juice and sugar. Now mash it lightly with a potato masher.
2. Add confectioners sugar in mascarpone cheese. Whisk it gently, or else sugar will fly every where. Now add heavy whipping cream and whisk it until peaks are formed.
3. Add parchment liners in your cake pan. I used 8 inch springform cake pan. As its easy to remove the cake from your pan.
4. Start layering as shown in the pictures below. Set the cake in refrigerator for atleast 4 hours, so that lady fingers absorbs all the juices from raspberries and become soft as a cake layer.